Thursday 6 April 2017

Sunshine


Now that we are being treated to that rare commodity, sunshine, I decided to invest in a bit of solar.  Its been on my shopping list for a while but without a clear idea of what I need, It remained on the to-do list.  I know I don't use a lot of power, but having done a proper power audit, I was surprised to discover just how little I use.

I tried to be generous and over estimated where possible but I still came up with a figure of around 12ah in a 24 hour period.  This is for all my 12 volt systems lights, pumps etc.

This put a new perspective on my solar purchase as it looks like 80 to 100 watts would be enough and although a mppt controller would make more efficient use of the power generated, a cheap pwm unit would suffice.

So I bought an ebay kit solar kit  for a very reasonable £112.  My mooring is south facing which means it should be reasonably easy to make a frame to elevate the panel to 50 or 60 degrees to get the best from it.



No comments:

Post a Comment