Friday 20 February 2015

Big black bottom

Yesterday I braved the rain and went up to Falls Bridge Warf just outside Rugby to see the boat out of the water.  Whilton Marina have contracted the work out as I believe they have quite a backlog of work.  I am glad about this as it gave me the opportunity to get another opinion from someone not directly involved in the sale.  Rupert who runs the yard turns out to be a highly skilled welder who not only repairs boats but has built a few too as well as restoring classic cars.  Considering the boats age, he reckons its in pretty good shape.

The work involved grinding out the poor quality welds on a previous replate along the bottom of the swim and extending the plate about another foot forward.  I am no expert but the job looks well executed.

Out of the water, the dented right hand bow plates look a lot worse than they did when afloat but that is largely cosmetic.  More of a concern are the engine room vents which while high enough for the BSS are still too near the water for my peace of mind.  This is something I shall have to think about.
                        Overplate on bottom of the swim.


                       The big bronze thing.


Dented bow.

Engine intake.  A bit too close to the water for my liking.




No comments:

Post a Comment